Whatever, whenever, whyever. Also serves as my random Research Dump, with the emphasis on Dump.

5.27.2005

Hotel Fucking Rwanda

Hotel Rwanda has to be one of the most devastating films I've ever seen. This is not a review. It's a reaction. Don Cheadle got screwed. Jamie Foxx should have walked off the stage and just handed Cheadle the Best Actor Oscar. (But when did the Academy ever have a clue about talent?) I just can't shake everything I just saw. I spent much of the movie trying to put myself in this man's shoes...and realized how small my feet truly are.

I have always been something of a History and Geography and Social Sciences junkie. When the butchering of the Tutsis happened in Rwanda in '94, I lost the last of my faith in Western Politics. No one who can sit idly by and watch this happen without doing anything deserves to have any power.

This movie, unfortunately, was exactly as engaging as I knew it would be, fueled by a story that rips at your soul. It's Schindler's list with the same monstrous villain, on a different continent, in a different time...but still mired in the same madness. You don't watch this movie. You survive it. And you appreciate what you have, even if you think it isn't much. Just amazing.